Bali 2017 – Part 11

ShaunBali 2017Leave a Comment

Tuesday we spent half the day travelling to our final destination in seminyak. Here it is known to be more upmarket than Kuta, and you know what that means. Higher prices. The taxi ride into Seminyak was a horrible dragged out nightmare. So many cars, and SO many bikes, stop and start, stop and start. If you transformed all the bikes into cars, you would have unlimited gridlock.

The traffic in Seminyak is awful, as was Kuta, and there is actually no point in getting a taxi as you could walk faster. I felt like I was back in London. At the end of all the hustle and bustle, we arrived at our hotel known as kubu cempaka. You would never know we were in the heart of seminyak as it’s very secluded from the roads, which is a great thing.

We checked in and then chilled by the nice pool, and later on we ventured out into seminyak square to see what was around. The walk turned into more of a hike, a thirty minute trek to finally get to the square, it wasn’t an enjoyable walk either. Using Google maps to find the quickest route, the road we were meant to go down didn’t exist, and there’s a lot of the shadiest alleyways I’ve ever seen, each with a pack of rabie infested dogs. Hmm… Think I’ll find another way around.

I’m usually a huge lover of dogs, but in Bali I’m not. Sometimes they follow you, and I think, how is this going to end? I say that and to be honest, they are always harmless minding their own business anyway. If they are foaming by the mouth, then that’s a different story. At least the pavements are better than ubud, each of their slabs was like a trapdoor into the sewer.

When we arrived to the square, it was recommended to try out Motel Mexicola, a Mexican restaurant in Bali… Hmm. I was a bit skeptical, but then when we arrived it was pretty cool. A big bright coloured building with tight security and a load of very attentive, welcoming staff who like to consistently clap to the music.

Good vibes in here and a lot of Australians. I was wondering where they were all hiding. We grabbed some bintangs to start with, then ordered Guacamole, tacos and some fresh tortilla wrapped goodness. This place had been open since 1962 so that’s a sign it’s pretty popular.

The next day we grabbed some breakfast, and layered on the sun lotion. Surfing was on the cards today, a 37 minute walk from our hotel. They provide transport, but only by bike, and there’s no way they were gonna get me on that.

I didn’t know what to expect, or if I would like it, but I had to try. The school was called up to you surfing, and the instructors were all Balinese. Soon as we got in we were ushered inside to pay 35,600,000 (about £19), and then given branded UV protective T shirts.

Luckily we were each allocated a locker to put our valuables in, and after that me and the rest of the group paired up to carry two surfing boards down the beachfront. All of us crowded around the instructor on our haunches and listened carefully to what he had to say. At times, due to the accent his words were inaudible, mainly due to pronunciation. Hazard sounding like Assad.

The instructors were very cheeky chaps. One couldn’t pronounce my name (no-one can for some reason) so instead he called me brudda (brother) instead. There was an ankle leesh that connects to the back of the the board. He jokingly wrapped it around his neck. Instructions were: First lay down on board, paddle, then hands under chest and push up into press up position, bring back foot up and then up legs apart slightly bent, arms out. After five or six attempts, we headed to the waters.

One of the instructors demo’d riding the wave, and after that, we all went in. One by one we’d queue up to instructor and he’d set us up one by one to catch the wave. The sea was quite busy with other surfers which posed a bit more of risk. We just had to be vigilant.

On my first attempt I managed to ride the wave for a good five/six seconds, and it was awesome. All of us ended up grasping the technique, albeit laced with bad habits and shouting from instructors on how to improve. Each instructor was allocated four people, and others would lurk into our space which was a bit annoying.

With that we purchased some photos for 75,000 each and I put them on my memory card. We stopped at the beach for a few hours then walked back to our hotel. After thirty minutes we were back out, first at an Asian restaurant to have spring rolls, and roasted oriental chicken with rice. Once our bellies were satisfied, we made a trip to canggu to a popular place called Old Mans bar. When we arrived, we were amazed by how busy it was.

They played some great house, a beer pong competition was going on and we got speaking to a few people throughout the night.

Our expectations were that everyone was aussie, and although the majority were, there was also many Europeans. We partied until the early hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *